Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

WELCOME to all the newbies.

That SUCKS to all the gals with bad news.

I have no memory these days, CHEMO brain. I think I may have said this before?

I know these first 5 years will be hell for me, never quite knowing. But I feel for those of you who's on the other end of that. To be 20 - 30 years out, then a recurrence. That totally SUCKS.

God Bless everyone. Have a great day.

• leona5
    leona5 Member Posts: 3

Hi!  How u all doing?I am 48, and a 5 and a half years BC survivor.After taking Temoxifen for 4 and a half years, taking Letrozole now. I am having joint pains, especially stiff fingers now. Am taking 500mg Calcium and Evion 400. Is anyone having joint stiffness like this ? Any suggestions to improve flexibilty welcome....:)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Welcome leona5 to the middies.  I am experiencing the joint stiffnes with Tamoxifen and started taking glucosamine/chondroitin and it seems to be helping.  Some days I have to put hot compresses on the toe joints to make them feel better.
  • blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

Kateygirl....my recurrence is after 14 years...and started as on the chest call 1 1/2 ago, now it is in lungs, liver and bones oh an lymph nodes!!!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Meece, Faith, Barbe, Sheila, somebody who knows how to do pictures.  Tina has a photo of our bouquet on FB.  Would one of you please paste here, the Garden, and Chemo July '09 threads.  I think there's a TN thread to, but I don't know what it's name is. Thanks, Joni  (oh never mind Sheila read my mind!)

Katie, Lisa's other daugher posted this message about the flowers: "BCO.Org (breast cancer forum site) ladies sent this to us. each rose had a tag on it, with one of the girls from the sites name and a little saying. so beautiful and sweet."

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

all i can say is WOW what a beautiful tribute to Lisa!

• Just curious Kateygirl - how were your mets found.  Were you feeling differently or was it some type of scan that found it.   

• The flowers are absolutely beautiful!  Thanks for making sure we all had a chance to see them!

• cathycan
    cathycan Member Posts: 1

Wow, you girls are amazing! I salute you all!

My story:calcifications in right breast 5 years ago, biopsy= calcifications. Fast forward to Sept. 2010, 2 areas of calcifications in left breast. Sonogram = calcifications. 4/2011,back for diagnostic mammo a couple of weeks ago, cals look just the same but this Dr. has a hunch, wants a biopsy. Biopsy shows DCIS. Lumpectomy last week. Planning on lumpectomy, then radiation after family vacation end of June, a nice tidy plan then the patho comes back with bad margins, actually find more unseen DCIS through sample, so... Got an MRI on the right side to see if it has the same "unseens", if so dbl mastectomy. I know I could "just wait and see" with mammos but after reading your stories, on the chance that the DCIS could invade, I just want it over with. My mom had breast cancer last year.

Still planning on late june. Am I kidding myself, that I'll have time to recover for school to start back up? no radiation/chemo needed. I'll have 6 weeks.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Okay, if that flower pic didn't bring a smile/tears, I want to know about it! Thanks Sheila :)

Just a thought I want to share. I can't imagine how it feels to live with mets so I won't even try, but until I find out otherwise, I am not waiting for the other shoe to drop, I'm really not. I consider myself cancer-free just like the woman next door to me who has never been dx'd with cancer. I've done all I can do at this point to make sure my cancer was properly treated and arrested and I feel good about the decisions I've made. If I'm proven wrong tomorrow, so be it, but until then, I'm not going to wonder whether something could happen down the road. I will make plans for the future every chance I get, and I will go about my business fully expecting all those plans to be carried out. I wish that for every single person reading these posts.  Huge hugs.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Thanks so much for the picure post.  They are so beautiful.  I didnt know Lisa like alot of you did, its so heart warming to see just how much you all care in this way.  If the rest of the world could see this, wow!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

I look at that picture and think "Pink Hugs"......  Awesome bouquet! 

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Marlegal - yes, the picture of those pretty pink roses brought a smile to my face. I'm happy that we all came together and accomplished this tribute to Lisa, and I thought "pink hugs" - just like you said, Mary Louise. It was beautiful!

And I totally agree with your outlook about future recurrences. Somewhere someone wrote: I didn't have any guarantees before, and I don't have any now. I feel as safe as the next woman, only maybe even more so because we are watched so closely by our doctors. Thanks for putting it so eloquently - it makes me feel even more assured about my future.

• leona5
    leona5 Member Posts: 3

Thanks a lot, Jo....Will try that...:).Lovely rose bunches,  caring discussions, exchange of  useful informations....wow ! you people are amazing...I have been missing all these...

• Huskerkkc
    Huskerkkc Member Posts: 471

Love the roses. What a tribute. I have been on 3-4 other threads and just came over here after the news of Lisa. 

I am 50, diagnosed in January. Lumpectomy in Feb, chemo started in March. Will have #5 tx this Friday and one more June 1 or 2; then rads for 6-7 weeks. I am TN, so that adds a shadow to anotherwise (what I thought was) favorable diagnosis. Stage 1A, no lymph node involvement. Glad to be part of such a great group of women, this thread and others.

Kristy 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

cathycan:

I'm not a regular but have been lurking her for awhile.  I had BMX in February and luckily don't have to have chemo or radiation at this time.  I do have expanders and will do exchange surgery down the road.  Everyone's experience is different, but for me 6 weeks was doable (is that a word?).  The expanders cause their own issues and I'm not back to my exercise program yet, but I was back to work by 6 weeks.  Works OK as long as I don't have to sit for 8 straight hours.

To the rest of you ladies - thanks for your posts.  I didn't know Lisa but the flowers were a wonderful tribure.  Hope you don't mind me dropping in even though I'm part of the "ish" over the 60.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

What a beautiful "Pink Hug" for Lisa.........so much love.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

thanks for posting the picture. its' so nice that her family knows how much we loved her/ she loved us... 'cause that's what ive found here, also...    welcome, all newbies, you'll find the same, just set awhile, and let us get to know you!!!        3jays

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Oh, Sheila, they are lovely. As was Lisa. RIP.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Very deep thoughts on this thread this morning. I really appreciate the words about being as "safe" as the woman next door...makes me feel lighter almost, if you know what I mean. I guess, only 2.5 years out I'm still feeling vulnerable and every ache and pain is mets. I have to get over that! Those words are helping me. Thank you ladies, yet again.

• barbe1958

Oh, elimar, I get brought back to page 42 still....you wanted to know!

• Kim

Just wanted to say congrats ob the great cancer free news.

Ladies. I also dont post much but I agree with Kim I have learned so much from all of you and i am constantly amazed about how much support is given. I am fairly new to this thread and didn't "Lisa" but my heart goes out to her family during this time and my prayers are offered for strength and comfort for them. Rest in peace

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Eli, I'm not having any trouble with getting to the last post.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Ladies, the flowers were a wonderful tribute.  The picture brought tears to my eyes, not of sadness but of wonder at the outpouring of love that was displayed for someone you have never "met".  The support from all the wonderful women on these boards has been tremendous for me.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Still coming in on page 33!  I have to become less of a "lurker" if I want to be able to find where I have read to on this thread!

• barbe1958

I think the fact that we haven't 'met' has given some of us deeper relationships than if we did meet. I am sitting here in my housecoat with bed-head. If 'you' were coming over, I'd be running around cleaning and showering and worrying what to serve you. When you got here, your accent might surprise me, you might talk slower than I expected and I couldn't hear your soft talking.

This way, all of our thoughts are clear and concise except when our post is misinterpreted entirely. We all have the same 'accent' and we don't have to worry about appearances, either wardrobe or house-wise. Posting gives us time to think of what to say and can also be edited. Not so in real life - don't you wish! I have said things here on this forum that I would never tell a girlfriend, not only because she wouldn't 'get it' but because it is from the deepest part of my soul and I could only say it 'outloud' here because I can't see your facial reactions. Does that make sense?

So, I truly believe these reltationships are deeper and more real than in our own personal circles.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

That was beautifully stated Barbe, Thank you.

E - I'm always taken to page 2 on this thread.

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

well said, Barbe, and also very heartfelt. 

thank you

Teklya

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I so agree withyou, Barbe.  All the physical (viewable) attributes are not even under consideration.  It is what is in our hearts and minds that bonds us, and what you read here.

What is interesting, is that we could pretend to be something we aren't but here it feels safe to talk about the flaws ie no boobs, uneven boobs, damaged nails, skin problems.  These things seem to be a distraction to people when you are face to face.

Have you ever noticed when you do tell someone you had BC their eyes drop to your chest?  It's as if they are trying to decide which one and what did you have done.  Distracting.